The ANEC Strategy sets the framework for all ANEC activities.
In June 2013, the General Assembly adopted the Strategy for 2014 to 2020 . It is intended to achieve the ANEC Vision 2020:
• A sustainable Europe where the health, safety and well-being of consumers is paramount, where goods and services are accessible, fit for purpose and in compliance with legislation and standards;
• A European Standardisation System in which the consumer interest is not only represented in standards work that will affect consumers but is influential, innovative and key in decision-making;
• A Europe where consumer engagement is achieved at national and European level, with balance between consumer and business interests;
• A balance between legislation and standardisation that ensures the highest levels of protection and welfare for all European consumers, regardless of age or ability.
The Strategy is supported by 10 strategic objectives, with their implementation to be achieved through annual action plans, adopted by the General Assembly and managed on its behalf by the Steering Committee as board of the association. The annual action plans are themselves supported by annual work programmes that detail the tasks in both the political and technical sectors of ANEC activities.
Particular items of focus within the political and horizontal activities of ANEC are:
- our contribution as an “Annex III Organisation” to the implementation of Regulation (EU) 1025/2012 (including the EC Committee on Standards; EC Annual Union Work Programme for European Standardisation; Joint initiative on Standardisation)
- enhancing consumer participation in standardisation
- the training of consumer experts and consumer representatives
- participation in the governance of the European Standardisation Organisations
- our contribution to the European consumer programme
- strengthening the framework for market surveillance and enforcement
- strengthening the framework for the safety of consumer products
- communications, events and dissemination of information
- collaboration with our sister organisations: BEUC, Consumers International & ICRT